Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween Night with Trick-or-Treat Candies

     We have had a blast this Halloween! Our trick-or-treat buckets are full of candy and our bellies might be too hehehe!
As soon as we got home from trick-or-treating we ate some delicious dinner, changed into our pajamas, then sorted out our candies. The best part of Halloween has got to be all the candy you get from trick-or-treating! It's awesome how many different types of candy there is these days, because in my time, during the late 1700s, there really wasn't that much candy around and we called candy "sweet meats."
      One of my favorite sweet meets that my father keeps stocked in his store is candied fruit and the best kind, in my opinion, is candied orange peel! Yumm! But if I had to pick my all time favorite candy I would definitely choose Twix! I love chocolate and caramel candies the best of all! I asked each of the other girls what their favorite sweet treats are from their home time period. Here is what they told me:
Kaya says: During my time period and in my culture we didn't really have candy but we enjoyed the sweetness of huckleberries!
Kirsten says: In my time period it was a real treat to get to go into town and pick out a few candies from the General Store. Penny candy was what we called the colorful hard candies that were sold by the piece for a penny.
 
Addy says: Did you know that one of the makers of jelly beans, William Schrafft, suggested people send packages of his jelly beans to Union Soldiers fighting in the Civil War to help cheer them up! 
Sam says: Even though peppermint sticks are thought of as more of a Christmas candy, they are still my favorite and guess what the pure peppermint stick was first developed in 1901, just a few years before my home time period! 
Rebecca says: Milton Hersey is the man that created the Hershey Kiss in 1907, but everyone originally called them Silvertops because of the silver foil wrappers. 
Molly says: Like Rebecca, I too love chocolate, but I hate when it gets all melty which is the reason why M&M Ltd. created these coated chocolate candies in 1941 when they realized that nobody was buying melty chocolate in the hot summer months.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So did you get a lot of candy from trick-or-treating this year?
What is your favorite kind of treat?
 

If you want to learn more about the history of candy you can follow these helpful links:
foodtimeline.org
groovycandies.com
bwcliffordcandy.com
candyfavorites.com

No comments:

Post a Comment